Hurst is a beautiful, semi rural village in the civil parish of St Nicholas Hurst, situated four miles north of Wokingham and two miles south of Twyford in the county of Berkshire. The village is home to a primary school, two churches, a post office, butcher/farm shop, and baker, as well as several pubs. It’s famous locally for its regular pantomime and Country Fayre. The nearby M4 Motorway and main London to Bristol railway line provide excellent transport links.
Our site, off Broadcommon Road, adjoins the south eastern edge of Hurst and is opposite to Hurst Lodge.
We’ve worked with the landowner, multi-award winning architect Pollard Thomas Edwards, and planning consultancy Rural Solutions to put forward a proposal for 33 new Custom and Self-Build homes, including new affordable homes. Landscape design is by Collington Winter and includes a village green, a new network of trees, hedgerows, and ditches.
We want to create beautiful, affordable, equitable, and sustainable homes in Hurst. We want to create somewhere that adds value to the village and in a hundred years’ time people will still be proud to call their home. We will do this by:
- Creating a place which reflects the character of Hurst
- Offering choice and diversity in the homes we design
- Enabling people to build beautiful, efficient homes that meet their needs
- Providing people-friendly streets and open spaces.
Our proposal will:
- Provide 33 new Custom and Self-Build homes, including affordable homes that increase housing choice in the village for existing and new residents
- Be designed to be sympathetic and complimentary to the existing rich, architectural vernacular
- Enhance existing hedgerows and woodland and introduce new native species increasing local biodiversity
- Improve drainage on site through sustainable and attractive landscape features such as ponds and swales
- Respond to the climate emergency with environmentally sustainable new homes and landscape
- Positively contribute to local life by encouraging residents to be actively involved in their neighbourhood
- Create a sustainable community for the long-term.
We want to hear from you
If you have any questions about the scheme or would like to provide your feedback, please get in touch via the Contact us section of our website.
If you’d like to register your interest in this, or any of our projects, please fill out a form.
We consulted on our proposals in May 2021; you can still download our public consultation material and read our factsheet about the submitted plans here.
If you like the idea of Custom and Self-Build in Hurst, visit Wokingham Borough Council’s website to support our application.
If you’re interested in finding out more about Custom and Self-Build in the area, and to sign up to the register to get notified when plots become available, follow the link below to Wokingham Borough Council’s website.